In addition to the regular building systems such as HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and fire systems, there are many attraction-specific systems that require customised maintenance regime such as:
• Reel Cinemas – F & B Equipment, Projection System
• Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo – Life Support System for aquatic animals
• Dubai Ice Rink – Glycol based refrigerant system for the ice rink
The asset details are available in the computerised FM software, Maximo, in which the installation date, frequency of maintenance and failure data are stored and used regularly for analysis, decision making, reporting, and budgeting.
Emaar Entertainment adopts a Reliability / Energy Centered Maintenance (RCM) regime which is a blend of preventive and predictive maintenance in line with ISO 55001 / 50001 guidelines, illustrated by the below FM Pyramid.
The RCM regime has been developed and deployed to maximise the lifecycle of the facilities/assets and optimise operational cost. The proportion of preventive and predictive maintenance required is determined through historical data analysis. The ratios are loaded in the FM software, Maximo, and simultaneously fixed as targets to the Service Provider to ensure that the maintenance is optimal, effective and delivers maximum uptime.
Customised Maintenance Regime for attraction specific assets:
1. Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo has a state-of-the-art Life Support System, which includes BOD monitoring sensors, activated carbon filters, and electrostatic precipitators and more. The maintenance includes daily inspection, calibration, monthly filter replacement and flushing.
2. Dubai Ice Rink has a glycolbased refrigeration plant run by three compressors, of which one is standby. The maintenance includes real-time monitoring of the compressors, runtime, duty cycle, and suction/discharge pressure parameters in addition to monthly maintenance and overhaul including compressor oil change every 5000 hours.
3. Reel Cinemas has the latest Dolby Cinema and Barco Escape supported by a futuristic projection system and HACCP compliant Food & Beverage equipment. The maintenance includes procedures such as calibration of projectors, speakers and regular de-greasing of extract hoods, grease trap cleaning, and overhauling of popcorn mixers, in addition to rigorous internal audits/inspection of the assets.
Emaar Entertainment is aligned with the UAE Government in building a sustainable environment and infrastructure, a key element of UAE Vision 2021.
(The Author, Bhaskar Balasubramaniam is the Senior Facilities Manager, Emaar Entertainment)